Ian advises on, litigates and engages in alternative dispute resolution in a broad range of areas including on insolvency and other Corporations Act claims, debt recovery, security enforcement, real property, PPSA, fraud, commercial and contract disputes, partnership disputes, building and construction disputes, trust law and restraints of trade. His clients include including financiers, insolvency practitioners, large corporations, SMEs, family owned and operated businesses, strata corporations and farmers.
Some of his matters have involved:
1. Settling a claim on behalf of 16 farmers in relation to water rights on the Murray River.
2. Managing and drafting a Deed of Company Arrangement and acting on behalf of the voluntary administrators of a former
Australian fashion chain.
3. Acting on behalf of a large Australian financier in a large, resources industry insolvency that spanned Australia.
The matter involved liaising with the voluntary administrators of the corporation, assisting the financier’s general
counsel, providing strategy and risk advice and litigating against an international financier.
4. Acting on behalf of a large family owned business where a former employee improperly removed commercially
confidential material from his place of work before resigning to take up an offer of employment with a direct
5. Obtaining an urgent injunction on less than 12 hours’ notice on behalf of a manufacturer that had had receivers
improperly appointed to it by a secured creditor.
6. Acting on behalf of a secured creditor in a long running matter involving proceedings in multiple jurisdictions with
numerous allegations of fraud against the bank, an accountant and a solicitor as well compensation claims against
the Torrens Assurance Fund.
Ian has also acted in matters involving breakdowns in relationships between directors of private companies, construction disputes and Home Owners Warranty Insurance matters and a large variety and number of debt recovery and security enforcement matters.
Ian’s practice includes acting in matters in all courts of New South Wales, the Federal Court of Australia and Appellate Courts.
Ian holds degrees in law and commerce (economics) and was admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court in 2010. He is in the final stretch of completing a Masters of Business Administration at Macquarie Graduate School of Management and has completed the Foundations of Directorship for Directors course at the AICD.